Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day-to-day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence – We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom – We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect – We believe in trust, empathy, and empowering people. Teamwork – We believe in diversity, inclusion, and the power of global collaboration. Transparency – We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability – We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Program Officer (PO) will support the Montenegro Program Manager (PM) with the implementation of IRI programming in Montenegro by maintaining the engagement of political parties throughout implementation and assisting with logistical needs of major program activities. Additionally, the PO will work with field and DC-based colleagues to ensure detailed performance monitoring and reporting, to provide data on program results, and improve project implementation. The PO will work under the leadership of and at the direction of the Montenegro PM and Bosnia & Herzegovina Resident Program Director (RPD).
- University degree in political science, law, international relations, or related field.
- Three-five-years of administrative/program experience in democratic governance and politics, preferably working in a political environment and directly with political parties, domestic or foreign civil society organizations/NGOs, and/or legislative bodies and officials.
- Working knowledge or background in public opinion research.
- Understanding/knowledge of political parties, government institutions, and election law in Montenegro.
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor, or technical consultant.
- Sensitivity to working in an advisory role with local organizations.
- Has demonstrated strong initiative and mature political judgement.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and complete objectives without supervision.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills in English and Montenegrin.
- Ability to translate.
- Ability to resolve recurring problems.
- Computer literate with practical experience with various software packages.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
Assists in developing program workplans and long-range country strategy plans;
- Assists in implementing program objectives and activities;
- Identifies key players and partners in Montenegro;
- Develops and maintains relationships with current and potential program participants, including but not limited to:
- Political parties (leadership, staff, and members);
- Government ministries and officials;
- Elected officials;
- Other NGOs, international organizations, and local civic organizations.
- Develops and participates in in-depth assessments;
- Organizes and conducts training seminars;
- Prepares and gives presentations;
- Translates documents, meetings, presentations, and seminars;
- Compiles and provides comprehensive activity reports;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is performed primarily indoors with occasional exposure to outdoor conditions when required. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employee’s Responsibility in an Emergency
The employee is expected to respond to emergency situations involving the safety of fellow employees including evacuation of the building.
Reports to the Montenegro Program Manager.
Exercises Supervision over: N/A
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive nor is it intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, or skills required of an incumbent.
An employee will perform other reasonably-related job responsibilities as assigned by management when required. IRI reserves the right to revise or change job functions as the need arises. Thus, management reserves the right to update and change job descriptions. This job description does not constitute a written contract of employment.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by IRI.
Applicants should submit a Curriculum Vitae, a one-page Letter of Application outlining their qualifications, motivation, and the added value they can bring to the program, and contact details of two references by email to Bosnia & Herzegovina Resident Program Director Borislav Spasojevic at firstname.lastname@example.org and Europe Senior Program Associate Randolph Kent at email@example.com indicating the position title and/or vacancy reference number.